Choquequirao Trek 5 Days - Trek Choquequirao Machu Picchu
Make Your Inquiry
Explore the two lost cities of Incas, Choquequirao and Machu Picchu on this Choquequirao Trek 5 Days, popularly known as 5 Day Trek Choquequirao Machu Picchu. Choquequirao nestles high up in the Quriwayrachina mountain range.
The name Choquequirao in Quechua means cradle of Gold. It is often referred to as the sister city of Machu Picchu. Both these Inca cities were built in the same era by Pachacutec. It has more or less a similar architecture.
However, Choquequirao due to its remote location attracts only a handful of people a day. Whereas, Machu Picchu being one of the popular destinations in South America, gets around 5000 visitors a day.
This is primarily because of Choquequirao’s remote location. It takes 2 days of hiking just to reach there from the nearest village. Infact, the Spanish conquistadors could not invade Choquequirao due to its location.
Local authorities are planning on installing a cable car which estimates a rapid boom in tourism to the archaeological site.
Please note that the Choquequirao Trek 5 Days is a high altitude experience. The highest point of the trek is at 4660 metres (15290 feet). We highly recommend you to spend 3-4 days in Cusco to acclimate and avoid altitude sickness.
Why Samex Tours Peru?
SAMEX Tours Peru is a fully locally owned licensed tour operator based in Cusco. We have an excellent team of professionals who are passionate about what they do. They have an excellent knowledge about the archaeology sites, history and culture.
We offer the 5 Day Trek Choquequirao Machu Picchu experience both in small groups and as a private tour. This two days tour is fully customizable with daily departures!
Do take a moment to check out our reviews on TripAdvisor
Choquequirao Trek 5 Days – Trek Choquequirao Machu Picchu Highlights
- Tour Location: Choquequirao, Machu Picchu
- Type: Hiking, camping, adventure, history, culture
- Good For: Those who enjoy hiking and are in moderate shape
- Difficulty: Challenging
- Considerations: This trek included visit Machu Picchu
- Choquequirao ruins are larger than Machu Picchu, but are currently a hidden gem, and not easily accessible to visitors. Soon, a tram will be built and this will become as popular as Machu Picchu.
- Starting Altitude – 2900m / 9515ft.
- Highest Altitude – 3050m / 10,005ft
- Walking Distance – 64 km / 40 miles
- Longest Day – Day 1, approximately 25 km/15.5 miles
- Overall Difficulty – Difficult
- First Day: Cusco – Cachora – Santa Rosa
- Second Day: Santa Rosa – Marampata – Choquequirao (Cradle of Gold)
- Third Day: Marampata – La Playa Rosalina – Chiquisca
- Fourth Day: Chiquisca – Capuliyoc – Cachora – Ollantaytambo – Tourist train – Aguas Calientes
- Fifth Day: Machu Picchu – Cusco
Frequently Asked Questions About Choquequirao Trek 5 Days - Trek Choquequirao Machu Picchu
Choquequirao is considered by many tourists who visited it like the other Machu Picchu and sometimes many tourists dare to say that it is better than Machu Picchu. The best thing about this archeological center is that it can only be accessed by hiking.
Yet there are no railroads or roads that can take you to or near Choquequirao. so it is done full trekking many tourists consider this crossing as a Pilgrimage.
This is more of an escape from the routine, an own challenge, escape from the bustle of the city, and being not well known sometimes the route is empty (without tourists) and on other occasions one can run into some tourists and these are few.
We’d love to hear from you! Thank you so much for your interest in having a personalized travel experience in Peru. Contact us using the form below and one of South American Exclusive Tours Perú experts planners will reply within one business day to arrange your private experiences in Perú. For all other inquiries please do not hesitate to contact us, we are happy to help with everything. Feel free to reach us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us directly by Whatsapp at +51 958192161
Customize Your Package
100% FLEXIBLE BY AND FOR YOU